Thursday, July 19, 2018

Open All the Boxes and Drink Every Last Drop

The music starts.


Each note slowly intensifies.


You feel it in your soul.


And the Chorus swells!


Welcome to what will hopefully be a once in this blog's lifetime event. Today, I will commence in opening all the Sipsby boxes I have received thus far. And then finally I will be able to drink all this marvelous tea and find their true loves in book form.

In order of arrival we have first the spring time confections of April.

Again, each box comes with a list of the teas that were put together especially for me. Remember, no two boxes are meant to be the same.

Lets start with our caffeine free teas; we have two for this month.



Hello paradise! Luscious mango, tangy apricot, and sweet passion fruit complement green rooibos, the unoxidized version of the mellow South African "red tea."

I did enjoy my fruity tea from my last box and I imagine I will experience the same results. 



This rejuvenating rooibos blend has fruity tropical Caribbean flavors along with sweet, creamy sarasparilla root - the secret ingredient in root beer - which adds an irresistible aroma.


Oh My Sweet Goody Gumdrops guys! A root beer tea!? I mean I doubt it will taste like a sweet Barq's Root Beer, but a girl can dream. I can't wait to try it.

We now move on to two medium caffeinated teas.



Give an energy boost to your body and mind without the jitters or crash of coffee! Ancient Viking herbs like rhodiola and Icelandic moss lower stress & increase mental stamina.

This sounds like a definite option for a crisp morning sitting on my porch with a book.



Commonly called milky oolong, this Jin Xuan from an award-winnning tea artisan, lives up to its name with buttery notes and underlying sweet vegetal flavors.

This one sounds interesting, definitely not something I have ever come across, though my experience is pretty limited. Still, I will be curious to try a sip of this.

April showers bring May flowers, but that really wasn't the case this year to my utter disappointment.


May did however bring a new caffeine level that is both intriguing and perhaps questionable for a tea. So lets start with that.

Pomegranate Mojito from Zest Tea is a Coffee-level Caffeine tea.


Get ready for a jolt! Zest is the tea industry's answer to a coffee-level cuppa. An amazingly refreshing blend - drink while (imagining you're) lounging on the beach!

I can't say that I don't wish the imagery of a beach were fake, but I have a pretty powerful imagination that I just might be able to pull something off when I get around to this tea. 

We move on to the Caffeine-free of which there is only one for this month.



This healthy chai blend is formulated with Kinkeliba, an herb traditionally used in West Africa to support healthy metabolism. It's caffeine-free, so you can enjoy any time of day!

I am curious to see if this one will actually affect my metabolism in a positive way. Guess it won't hurt to try.

May also brought along two high caffeine teas.



This blend is light on its feet and tangos across your tongue with raspberry and passion fruit. Perfect when you need the energy of a black tea and all the flavor of a fruit tea.

The mango tea from back in March was probably one of my favorites and I am excited that I not only get another fruit tea, but that it is by the same company as the last.

And then there is Matcha by Easthill Tea Co.


Did you know matcha was popular in China during the Song Dynasty (960-1279) before it became the national tea of Japan? Keep refrigerated for freshness!

Before I even think about attempting a second matcha tea I will most assuredly be purchasing a whisk to go along with it.

Well we've made it to the second to last box that I have received, so lets go ahead and slide right into June.


Again, I am gifted with two caffeine-free teas.



This organic herbal blend promotes clearer skin and stronger hair, making you feel beautiful from the inside out! 

A simple tea it seems, but if the benefits are to be believed it may be more than that. Perhaps a magic beauty potion in disguise.

The second caffeine-free is Guavalicious from Fava Tea


This tart and juicy exotic fruit blend is a summer favorite! Serve over ice for a refreshing, cooling beverage on a hot day.

The weather has thankfully cooled for the moment, but I have a feeling we are due for some more heat this summer. It will be fun to try one of these teas iced. 

We now move up a level to medium caffeine.



A joy for the eyes and palate! This is a beautiful aromatic blend of Chin Mee green tea and three types of flower petals, along with accents of citrus.

There seems to be a lot going on with this tea, but I have to admit everything that description held has me excited to brew myself a cup.

The last for June is high caffeine.



A fine oolong grower's take on black tea. Feel free to brew this tea like you'd brew an oolong (it can be steeped 4-5 times)! A special treat for oolong and black tea lovers alike.

I'm not aware of any love for oolong yet, but I suspect that will come shortly. As for black tea, ours is a long and beautiful relationship and I can't wait to reconnect.

The last box, but also the most recent to be received, July.


I appreciate that they sent another box with two medium caffeine teas. 



The finest green tea leaves are whisked with antioxidant-rich pomegranate and soothing rose petals with an essence of hibiscus to create a remarkable blend. Great hot or cold!

I adore the name of this tea and the packaging is just as adorable. What can I say, I'm a sucker for cute things. With the summer months I am more willing to try as many iced teas as I can. Looks like this will be another winner.



Matcha is packed with antioxidants and L-theanine to help you stay alert, yet calm. To prepare, whisk 1 tsp matcha with 2 oz warm water until frothy, and add 6 0z more water!

Damn, I'm really going to need that whisk!

The last two are polar opposites, one caffeine-free and the other high caffeine.



This refreshing blend helps you cool off on a warm day or simply unwind before bedtime. It also restores nutrients in your body and heals digestive and inflammation problems.

I guess a good nickname for this one would be the tummy ache tea. Plus, finding a nice calm tea to drink before sleep is always a plus.




Picked from wild-grown tea trees, this Lapsang Souchung (what we normally think of as pine-smoked), is not smoked, allowing the farmers to truly show the quality of the tea.

I'm not going to pretend to know, so I will just ask the question - Is this a pine tree tea? Guess I'll have to taste it to find out.


Well, that is it I'm afraid. I have opened all boxes currently in my possession and will now proceed to brew, sip, and enjoy each and every one of them.

Next up: Book Review of Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Coming Soon: Tea tasting and pairing



No comments:

Post a Comment